In order to protect the integrity of the Emergency Operations Plan and, most importantly, protect our students and staff, the details of the plan cannot be shared with members of the public. The following outlines the development of the plan by the Rowan County School District.
Emergencies happen when we least expect them. Knowing how to handle an emergency is necessary to maintain a safe and orderly environment. As school personnel in the Rowan County School System, we are committed to the protection of our students, staff and property. The Rowan County School District has taken steps to ensure the safety of the students and staff by implementing emergency plans.
Officials of the Rowan County School District, in conjunction with local and state governmental agencies, have developed an emergency operations plan that will enhance the response capability of emergency agencies. The plan, which addresses a variety of emergency issues, has been updated and staff members from each school have been trained to handle crisis situations.
The Emergency Operations Plan, adopted by the Rowan County Board of Education, contains plans for immediate and long-term strategies to address school safety and discipline and is reviewed annually and revised, as needed. The plan utilizes information gathered from the District assessment of school safety and student discipline as required by law.
The committee that developed the plan for the Rowan County Board of Education included at least one (1) representative from each school in the District, as well as representatives from the community as required by law. In making preparations for the plans, data was gathered from a variety of resources including Kentucky State Police, Center for Disease Control, and Kentucky Safe Schools. The Rowan County School District Emergency Operations Plan was developed in coordination with the following agencies or individuals:
- Army National Guard
- Board of Education Members
- Cave Run Surgical Specialists
- Director of Community Relations
- District Finance Officer
- Emergency 911
- Fleming Mason Electric
- Gateway District Health Department
- Homeland Security
- Kentucky State Police
- Kentucky Utilities
- Morehead City Police
- Morehead Clinic
- Morehead State University Police
- Morehead Utilities
- Parents of Rowan Students
- Rowan County Coroner’s Office
- Rowan County Emergency Management
- Rowan County EMS
- Rowan County Health Department
- Rowan County School Bus Garage
- Rowan County Sheriff’s Department
- Rowan County Student Committee
- Rowan Water
- School and District Level Nurses
- School and District Level Tech Coordinators
- School Principals
- School Psychologists
- School Resource Officer
- Special Education Director
- St. Claire Regional Medical Center
- State EMS
- State Fire Marshal
- Superintendent of Schools
- Members of Rowan County Schools Faculty and Staff
Rowan County Board of Education will make specific arrangements for communication through the following venues:
- Television Stations
- Radio Stations
- Automated telephone messaging
- School Messenger calling system
- Communicating with daycare agencies
In the event of an emergency disaster, our Emergency Operations Center will be activated. We will be linked to local fire, police and medical personnel. Because of the nature of some disasters, it is important that parents are aware of the following guidelines:
- Do not call your child on a cell phone.
- For information, first listen or watch local radio and television stations for updates; if questions are not answered then call the District office at 606-784-8928. We will make every effort to have individuals available to answer your questions. (In the event phones are not operating, information will be broadcasted through local radio and TV stations.)
- Information updates will be broadcasted at regular determined intervals not more than every three hours.
- We will determine, with local emergencies agencies, the safest course of action for your child’s well-being. Sometimes, it is not safe or feasible to pick up your child where you usually pick them up.
- Please be aware that for the safety of your child, we will take precautions to make sure that your child is released with proper identification and documentation.
- Please make sure to keep your child’s emergency information up to date.
- We will use our School Messenger program, if available, to contact parent via telephone with updated messages
In case of emergency, civic disaster or natural event such as a power outage that might affect the operations of our schools, tune to local radio and TV stations for the most current information.
Each teacher and administrator has access to the Rowan County School District’s Emergency Operations Plan. This plan provides our staff members with the information and resources necessary to respond to the unexpected in a professional and confident manner. Safety drills following the procedures outlined in the emergency plan are conducted on a regular basis. Preparation is the key to maintaining safety and order throughout the school system. While we hope that the Emergency Operations Plan will never need to be implemented, having the plan helps to insure the safety and security of our students and staff.